We’ve gone through and updated our list of best tablets for kids of 2015. As in 2014, there are a lot of new tablets to choose from, and not all of them are appropriate for all kids. Before you run out and plunk down a few hundred dollars, take a look at the options to figure out the best fit for your family. Here are some of today’s top choices based on age, price, and overall excitement factor.
Starter Tablets LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDI
- Ultimate adventures await with LeapPad Ultra XDi's huge 7" hi-res screen,...
- Huge, vivid screen delivers rich, dynamic graphics that immerse kids into the...
- Access the most engaging learning library for kids tablets, with 1,000+...
Leappad Ultra XDI
Pro: Great educational tablet for young kids
Con: The apps can get a little expensive, and not a good tablet for older kids or adults
This is a great first tablet for a young child, especially in the 4- to 9-year-old range. The LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra XDI has an education focus and is covered with plastic bumpers (for those little accidents in life), a large 7-inch touch screen, full Wi-Fi capabilities and a rechargeable battery. Kids love the front- and rear-facing cameras, the MP3 player, and that it just looks like a fun toy. While it’s tough enough to hold up well through various spills, drops and other kid-life wear and tear, this is not a tablet for the older siblings will want to be seen with.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 – Kids Edition
- Brand New Replacement Part USA Seller
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids Edition 7.0" SM-T2105 Yellow Touch Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids Edition 7.0" SM-T2105 Yellow Digitizer
With a bright, easy-to-use interface, kid-friendly app store, and durable case, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Kids is the ideal tablet for your kids’ digital playing and learning time. Pre-loaded with top-ranked apps for kids, the lightweight Galaxy Tab 3 Kids also features a built-in camera and parental controls for access and time limits. It transforms from kid to standard mode so you can enjoy the same familiar features as a regular Galaxy Tab 3.
This tablet uses essentially the same technology of the wildly popular Samsung Galaxy 3, so right off the bat you have a certain level of assurance that you’re dealing with a quality product.
Amazon Fire HD 6 Kid’s Edition
- Compatibility:Compatible with all Amazon Kindle E-reader and Fire tablet, Fire...
- 2-In-1 Cable:Type C and Micro-USB is perfectly designed on a charging cable....
- UL Listed: Products are Tested, Approved and Certified by UL(E342401),...
The Amazon Fire HD 6 Kid’s Edition is not considered a toy, but a full-featured Fire HD tablet with an HD display. Among many of the features:
– Front and Rear cameras
– Kid-proof case
– 2-year worry-free guarantee (including breakage)
– 1 year of Amazon FreeTime unlimited
We certainly like that Amazon has not created a completely different tablet for kids, but we’re not sure the additions warrant the additional cost.
This tablet may cost $50 or more over the standard HD6. But if you simply want to make a single, convenient purchase this package looks pretty good to us. Amazon is also releasing a somewhat cheaper Kid’s Edition with a 7-inch non-HD display.
Of course prices and deals change continuously, so keep your eye out.
Tablets to Grow With Kindle Fire HD 8
- 8" HD display, 2X the storage (32 or 64 GB of internal storage and up to 1 TB...
- All-day battery life - Up to 12 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching...
- Now with USB-C for easier charging. Fully charges in under 5 hours (with...
The Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet is one of the flagship tablets from Amazon. It provides a ton of functionality for a reasonable price. There are variations of this tablet that are higher and lower in price, but this is right in the middle and provide a great balance of features versus cost – perfect for the tween or just about anyone on your gift list.
The features of this tablet cannot be fully described in this short post. I recommend going to the Amazon page and reading about all of the great features of this product line. Here are some feature that stand out:
- Stunning 8-inch HD display (1280×800), plus a powerful quad-core processor
- Quad-core processor—3x more powerful than previous generation—with 2GB of RAM and Adreno 330 GPU for fast, fluid gaming and video
- “Mayday” Screen Sharing—Supports revolutionary, on-device tech support
- Immersive entertainment experience—see trivia and character backgrounds with X-Ray for Movies and TV, follow along with lyrics with new X-Ray for Music, fling videos to your TV with Second Screen, and more
- Over 100,000 apps and games available in the Amazon Appstore, including a new paid app for free every day
MORE: There are (4) Kindle Fire tablet models at the current time – click the links to see directly them on Amazon:
- Amazon Fire – Base model, 7-inch screen, basic display
- Fire HD 6 – Base model with HD display, about $100
- Fire HD 8 – Bigger screen (but same pixels), better cameras, about $50 more than the HD 6 (This seems like the best value to us)
- Fire HD 10 – Even bigger screen (but still same pixels) than the HD 8, and about $80 more
Google Nexus 7
- 7-inch tablet screen, 1200x1920 (323 ppi), LED-backlit IPS LCD capacitive...
- Powerful 3950 mAh battery, 10 hours, 15Wh Li-polymer Battery
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro 8064 Quad-Core, 1.5 GHz
The Google Nexus 7 is another great tablet option for kids. The Nexus 7 comes loaded with your favorite Google apps – like Chrome, Gmail, YouTube, Hangouts and Google Now – so you can browse, watch, share and stay connected wherever you go. And because Google apps are designed for the cloud, everything is simple and works seamlessly across your phone, tablet and computer. Now you have all the stuff you need, when you need it.
Nexus 7 is the first tablet to ship with Android 4.3, the latest version of the world’s most popular mobile operating system so it’s fast, fun and easy to make your own. Share your tablet with friends and family – each person has a separate customizable space, including personal homescreen, wallpaper, apps, storage, and more. You can also manage access to apps and content to create an experience that’s appropriate for each member of the family.
Nexus 7 is great for gaming and with favorites like Prince of Persia, Asphalt 8, and Riptide GP 2, you can tilt, tap, and touch your way to the top. The brand new Play Games app also lets you track your achievements, play with (or against) friends and gamers around the world, and discover new exciting games. And with an ever-expanding number of tablet-optimized apps like Flipboard, Expedia, or The Fancy, you’ll find all the apps you love, and love the many new apps you’ll find.